Look at the following nine categories of abuse/household dysfunction. During the first 18 years of your life, did you experience any of the following or are you currently experiencing one or more of the following?
- Recurrent Physical Abuse
- Recurrent Emotional Abuse
- Sexual Abuse
- An Alcohol or Drug Abuser
- An Incarcerated Household Member
- Chronically Depressed, Suicidal, Institutionalized, or Mentally Ill Parent
- Abused Parent
- One or No Parents
- Emotional or Physical Neglect
Any one of the above 9 items receives a score of one, no matter how many times it occurred. For instance, if you were sexually abused once or many times as a child, your ACE score is one and only one.
If you are concerned with your ACE score, please contact a professional or one of our resources for assistance.